Sunday, September 27, 2009

What's Your Occasion?

In my travels and experiences since graduating in May 2008, I, like many other 20-somethings (and human beings in general), am trying to find my place. I find myself dabbling in different interests. I'm figuring out my life's balance, though I feel like it won't really be balanced for some time. Still, I'm taking steps to figure out who I am and who I'm not.

I've figured out that I'm currently exploring my purpose. While working for JA, I figured out my purpose pretty quickly. I don't mean my general job duties, I mean the thing that makes me get up and go every day. My purpose was to help the kids in Osceola County, Florida to become better citizens. I still have a passion for helping kids, but my desire to learn more about the fashion industry led me to my current job with the Aveda salon. My general job duties are outlined, of course, but I'm still figuring out my overall purpose. I'm exploring some opportunities within the business that will be supplementary to my daily routine. It sounds like these opportunities will be helping the business put on events to benefit our community. I like my job, don't get me wrong. But this extra piece of it, the piece that I'm volunteering to do, I think will end up being my purpose here. Not only will I be helping to coordinate the daily workings of a top salon, I'll also be promoting our salon via community outreach as we try to help some of the nonprofit organizations in town. This aspect of my job at JA was my favorite part - getting out there and showing the people what we were made of (and helping people in the process).

So, even though I'm in a completely different position/work environment, maybe this is another sign pointing me toward where I'm supposed to go. At least I feel like I'm on the path.

This quote inspired today's post:

"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." ~Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

I'm figuring out what occasion I'm rising to, one day at a time.

No comments: