Monday, September 15, 2008

I know what I know

People keep asking me how long I'll stay in Florida. 3 months? 6 months? What happens if you find a full-time, "real" job? How long will you stay then? What is you don't find your dream job?

Here's the answer: I don't know.

This specific journey started for me one year ago. My sights were set on Chicago; that's where I'd wanted to live since I could remember. Chicago prospects came and went. My newly-graduated self thought perhaps the job market would be different somewhere else, hence the move to Florida. Plus, my living expenses are paid for the time being. Now I'm here. STILL figuring out what it is I'm going to do. And no, I don't know how long I'll live here. But here are some things I've figured out so far:

-I have little to no desire to stay in Davenport for an extended period of time. When I'm able to afford it, I'm moving on.
-The South is not so bad. It's wicked hot, but so is Indiana in the summer. And if you're near water, you survive.
-I'm within an hour and a half from the ocean. And I like it that way.
-Orlando shopping is amazing. Having an outlet mall within 20 minutes of where I currently live is spectacular.
-My job at the Pub is fun. The majority of the customers are super nice and the British seem to find me entertaining.
-I do not want to continue serving for an extended period of time. It's nice for now because I'm making easy money to pay my credit card bill. After that, my sights will be set higher than they are already.
-I know I'll miss autumn at home, but I plan to visit during that season. I know I won't miss snow in January, but again, Christmas will be nice in Indiana.

While I don't know what's going on as far as my career goes, these are some of the life things I do know. There are no exciting job updates today. Just the thoughts of a recent college grad who's figuring out her place in the world.

No comments: